httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] JAVASCRIPT VIRII - myth? or fact?
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:00:21 GMT
> and it would be a site I never visit.
> I went through the sources for my own browser to completely remove
> javascript capability.
> months ago.
> javascript is also the main culprit in pop up adds, which was the
> primary reason to remove it. then I started learning about javascript
> virii and had yet another reason to not have javascript.

Doesn't bother me, you don't have a login ;-).  We use js to help users out
and for value-add features that absolutly cannot be done without it.

If you don't want pop-ups, use mozilla, or stop visiting the seedier parts
of the internet.  Mozilla can disable unrequested windows.  Seems to have a
95% success rate.  Plus it is a more compliant browser.

The _only_ way js can mess up your computer is through a broken js
implementation.  js is there as a client side language and should play only
in the browser's sandbox.  If it doesn't, and updating your browser doesn't
fix it, tell the vendor.  if they do nothing or take forever to respond,
announce it to the world.

-Jacob