httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] installation trouble
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:56:03 GMT
Try `telnet localhost 80` and then, if it accepts connections, type in "GET
/ HTTP/1.0" ctrl+m ctrl+j.  If you get a response, check out the Server:
line.  Should be something similar to:
Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) PHP/4.2.3 mod_ssl/2.8.11 OpenSSL/0.9.6g

The server line will give you an idea of what is listening on port 80.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Stephens" <DanielBStephens@hotmail.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] installation trouble

Ok, I reinstalled the tarball after I thought I unstalled the same version.
At best I thought I may just be copying over apache-2.0.40 with itself.
Everything went ok till i did

[root@mail root]# /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80

Now I understand this to mean that something is already allotted to port 80,
but when i do a % netstat -an | grep LISTEN , port 80 isn't shown like there
is anything bound to it.
I hope some of this makes sense to some of you, thanks,
   Dan