httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] installation trouble
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:50:46 GMT

>>-I installed httpd-2.0.40 from a tarball and I think I did it correctly
(tar xvf, make, make install, make clean, ./configure), but my box still
doesn't seem to be able to find it (service start httpd comes back with
httpd isn't installed<<

I'll assume you meant tar -xzvf ;)

>>-I have uninstalled 1.3.whatever successfully, but now my
/etc/init.d/httpd file isn't looking to my new version of httpd, not that my
box even recognizes the new httpd installed at all. <<

You need to figure out where httpd was installed to.  Honestly, I've never
installed 2.x, so I can't give you any base info on where to look.

You can, however, use the locate command to find httpd on your computer.
`locate httpd`  If that doesn't show anything useful, you'll probably need
to make and then make install apache 2.0 again, noting the output from make
install.  You should see something like "cp (something)
/usr/local/apache-2.0.40/"  That /usr/local/apache-2.0.40/ dir is what you
want to find.

Once you've found that, you'll need to manually start apache;
/usr/local/apache-2.0.40/bin/apachectl start. (2.0 has apachectl right?)

If apache starts ok, then you can edit /etc/init.d/httpd to have it point to
the right place.

>>-I am a bit frustrated, as this has been a problem i've had nagging me for
quite some time, if anyone could explain to me how to install httpd
correctly from a tarball, including how to make the box recognize and start
it, please let me know, thank you very much,<<

GNU/Linux is very good at some things, and initial ease of use isn't one of
them.  Once you start understanding how things work and where things go, it
all becomes much easier :)  Just remember, tab completetion is your friend!

-Jacob