httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Bottleneck at 120 users with Apache2.0-39 + WebLogic7.0
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:19:20 GMT
> OS: SunOS djdisk 5.6 Generic_105181-33 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2
> CPU Usage: 5 to 7% (70% for a brief time right at the very beginning of
the performance test, then drops to 5-7% for the remainder of the test).  So
at a load of 120 users, the CPU usage is only at 5 to 7 %.  This is a
dedicated server running Apache server.  WebLogic and the application
servers are running on a separate machine.

Ok, sounds like you're just serving up static pages?

> RAM: 1024M
> Each page is the result of Servlets creating XML, which is then passed
through  XSL transformation -> resulting in html pages.
> I don't think swapping is taking place, although the free memory on the
machine as reported by "top" is at about 16M free (shouldn't be an issue,
though).

I would think that swapping is taking place, or very close to it.  I know
that on my linux machines, once free mem drops down to around 10M or so, it
starts swapping data out.  Monitor top to see if you start allocating swap
space during the tests.  I've learned the hard way that swapping causes
abysmal performance that gets exponentially worse until the system grinds to
a halt and only a local term can login without timing out.  I even had it
grind so much that I had to physically unplug the connection and wait for
the server to recompose itself.

> Q: How can I determine the memory usage per connection?

use top or ps to see how much mem apache is using and divide that by the #
of connections (netstat -an | grep :80 | grep "ESTABLISHED" or through
mod_status)

> Q: How can I determine if I'm flooding the connections?

Are you testing over a LAN or across a WAN (T1, OC, DS, etc)?  I would think
that anything over a ISDN 128 could handle 120 connections pretty easily.
You probably aren't saturating the line, but it's always good to look at
everything :-)

-Jacob