httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] a quick question or two
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:05:56 GMT
> linux != unix

Precisely what the Linux acronym stands for ;)

> The LSB or "UnitedLinux" can standardize these things within their
> community, but my rant was directed to IBM|HP|SUN|SGI and the open group
> set some standards on config/control.  However it may be hard to do this
for
> AIX.  Does SMIT generate config files for the kernel to process  or does
the
> kernel read from the smit registry?

I honestly don't know where this response came from?  I was replying to Mr.
Boyle's comment of  "but some Linuxes are very clever these days."

Besides, what good would it do IBM, HP, SUN, or SGI to standardize this
stuff?  These are proprietary OSs, and if you can just switch them out, why
use one over the other?

-Jacob