httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Foundation knowledge
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:59:22 GMT
> I'm trying to give myself a good foundation of knowledge to work from when
> using Apache. I'm currently studying the Apache docs to learn everything I
> can about it (both 1.3 and 2.0). I've already noticed that there are many
> cases where there's more than one way to do something. I tend not to like
> that. I like to know the "preferred" way.

The preferred way is highly subjective.  What may work great for your
situation, may not work for someone else.  This is why there are options.  A
few of the apache modules are depricated, and have noted which modules to
use instead.

> (That's the reason I'm teaching
> myself Python rather than Perl)

You should learn perl.  If not, at least the regexp stuff from perl.  And C.
And C++.  And PHP.  And asm.  And lisp.  And lua.  And BASIC.  And..  :-)

> My next step, when I feel I have a fair
> grasp of the Apache documentation, is to study the HTTP information at
> www.w3.org so that I may learn what's supposed to be going on under the
> hood, so to speak, so I can make sure I'm using Apache in conformance with
> that.

Why?  The only way you can (easily) mess up apache's conformance is by
throwing in custom headers.  It is up to apache to worry about rfc
conformance, and AFAIK, there is no confing option that will let you change
that.

> Does anyone have any recommendations on where I should turn my attention
> next? Or perhaps even a different plan than the one I've outlined?

What are you wanting to do?  You haven't listed any goals of this research.

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com