httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Server stops working
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2002 05:33:54 GMT
Rupert Young wrote:
> I am still flumoxed, but I do notice that when I restart Apache I get 250
> threads starting up.
> Is that normal, does anyone know what they are for ?

Yes, that's normal, if you're using threads.

What they are for? Serving requests simultaniously. Apache 2 can use threads
instead of processes, where the former are sort of light version of the
latter. Processes have their own environment and don't use the same address
space, so they consume more precious memory, while threads share
environment. It comes down to multi-tasking theory, look it up if you're
interested.

Regards,
Robert Andersson