httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache on a dual processor machine
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:33:21 GMT
> A question.. Does Apache run appreciably faster on a dual/multiple
processor
> machine? I would expect that it does.... Does there have to be any special
> configuration/compilation attributes that have to be taken into account...

Yes.  With the 1.3 series, apache forks off child processes that can all be
run on seperate processors.  With the 2.0 series, each connection is a
thread, which can also be run on seperate processors.  You probably won't
see a huge gain in speed using multiple processors unless you are using a
server-side language of some sort.  I don't know this for sure, it's a shot
in the dark :)

The only requirement is a SMP-enabled OS.  Linux has support for mutliple
processors, Win2k (XP, NT) has support for 2 processors, win2k (NT) pro
server supports 4 (?),  the BSDs, and pretty much every other *ix OS support
multiple processors.

> As an aside, ar ther any other open source web server apps that operate
> under a multiprocessing environment....

TUX maybe?  If something forks off processes, or is multithreaded, it can
take advantage of multiple processors.  Even if it's not, having the second
processor makes the system feel faster.  Not quite 2x, but it is a better
investment than MHz IMO.

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com