httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Server stops working
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2002 17:36:49 GMT
> I'm new to Apache but is quite happy with it so far except for one very
> irritating problem.
> All of the sudden it stops delivering pages and I get missing page/DNS
> errors from it when trying to view a page. The service is still running
and
> responding and there's no error message in the log, it just won't show any
> page. The Only solution is to shut it down and start it up again, then it
> works perfectly again for a while.
> Editing a webpage seems to be a surefire way to make it happens as every
> time I've run FrontPage and published a page the server have frozen again.
> I couldn't find anything related in the FAQ for 1.3 (not much in the 2.0
> FAQ) so I hope someone here can help me figure out what's going on (as it
is
> now the server is pretty much useless for anything other than testing).
> Have anyone else experienced this behavior? is it a bug or a faulty
config?
> what else could it be?

Sounds like a lock problem with either apache, or the OS.  If you wait a
while (2+ min) will the server start serving again?  Does CPU usage spike
while it's not responding?

Seems like Apache is going "hey, i need to read from index.html" and then
the OS goes "hold on, something is writing to it", but the OS never says
"ok, you can read index.html now" because of a bug in either the fs cache,
or in the lock/unlock stuff.

Suggestions:
- Update your computer with every sp and bugfix that ms has
- Make sure you are using the latest version of Apache
- See if the problem happens when updating with something other than
frontpage.  ultraedit will let you ftp open/save.
- Search the apache bugzilla page for any bugs relating to your problem.
- Start unloading apache modules that aren't critical to this bug.  If you
find one that alleviates the problem when you don't load it, you've probably
found the culprit :)
- See if the problem happens when only running apache on the server.  Don't
start firewalls or any other services.  Figure out a step-by-step way to
reproduce this behaviour and let the apache-dev team know.
- downgrade to the 1.3 series
- don't use windows as a server os
- compile apache on your own with debugging enabled.  when it hangs, break
and step into the process and go bug hunting.