httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Verizon" <markc...@gte.net>
Subject [users@httpd] The / required at the end of a URL?
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 04:46:15 GMT
I'm brand new here and I'm no Linux expert.  I read the FAQ and I know this issue pertains
to the inability of the server to figure out the server name.  I've tried everything I can
think of and I can't get it to work.

Specifically, my URL is http://www.bigdaddyo.com/forsale/

Yes, you have to put in the final / and I don't know why.

I have run apacheconf and changed the server name to www.bigdaddyo.com.  I have no virtual
hosts defined.  I presume DNS works because I can ping the outside world from that machine
by name (and I can ping my host from the outside world).  I am also running Samba and Samba
thinks my Linux computer's name is Niftysvr if that matters.

I have RH7.2 and I'm running whatever version of Apache that came with it.  I have installed
all the updates (as of a couple weeks ago).  I am not doing anything cleaver - just trying
to put up a simple web page or two.

I see this behavior all the time with other websites, so I'm sure it is a common problem.
 I'd be grateful if someone could tell me what to type and where to stick it.

Thanks in advance.

Mark