httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Andrew Darrow" <vrspec...@attbi.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.43 doesn't respond with 404 forGET default.ida
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2002 20:29:47 GMT
Thanks you guys

That's what I had read on a couple of sites. But I wasn't quite sure if they
were getting in through the indexing service. The thing that I'm currently
worried about is that there was that code red virus in my firewall's folder.
So somehow the person got through my firewall. And the only port that I have
open and unprotected is 80 so apache now takes over the security for that
port. So either someone tried to crash my web server then just hacked
through my firewall and planted it. Or they hacked through apache itself. Is
there a way to tell which one it was that happened? My firewall detected no
more attempts after the computer was restarted and code red implanted. Also
the apache log has nothing else there. Until like 2 hours later when the
normal script kiddie probs happen.

----- Original Message -----
From: "craig franke" <craig.franke@harlingen.tstc.edu>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 5:17 AM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.43 doesn't respond with 404 forGET
default.ida

Plus this hack doesn't affect Apache at all [except for the junk traffic
associated with it]... only unpatched IIS servers... Apache users just get
to see long junk entries in their log files :)

>>> info@orangexl.com 10/11/02 06:48AM >>>
Apache responded with a 400 BAD REQUEST ("Client sent malformed Host
header") which is the correct reply. Nothing will happen to you because
Apache return a 400 instead of a 404, since the are both error-messages.
Apache doesn't eveb try to look for the requested file...