httpd-users mailing list archives

From "grant.cooper" <grant.coo...@nucleus.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] change local server name
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2002 05:33:33 GMT
I'm new at this also, but I do believe that you have to change you host name of your machine.
In windows it would be under network properties.

I'm using unix ( FreeBSD ). I changed my hostname by changing the /etc/hosts file. You can
have any domain name for your local intranet (meaning inside network) but people from the
internet (outside)  will not see it. You would have to register a domain name.

Look up host names for your operating system.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Thorsten KRUSCHKE
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 5:45 PM
  Subject: [users@httpd] change local server name

  My question is not of vital importance, but I would like to know, if there is a way to change
localy the server name.

  Instead of typing :http://localhost/index.php, I would like to use, for exemple http://toto/index.php.

  I tried to change the "ServerName localhost" of the "httpd.conf " file into "ServerName
toto", but the only thing I got was a redirection to www.toto.com.

  So, once again : Is it possible to change the default name of the local server ?

  Thanks for all suggestions.

  Thorsten