httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Grant Cooper" <grant.coo...@nucleus.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Server Searching Tools for your web page
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2002 23:48:27 GMT
Does anyone know of a good package for personal use you can use for free
that you can modify. I am using a package from Kryltech.com but I can't
integrate it into my web page the way I would like. I know of htdig but I
don't believe its open source. I am using FreeBSD.

Thanks, in advance.
Grant Cooper

----- Original Message -----
From: "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Boyle@swx.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 6:44 AM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Web Aplication for Apache

Are you talking about htdig? That's actually written in C++ but the CGI is,
of course, a compiled executable. You can put anything executable in your
cgi-bin; shell-scripts, perl, java, VB, compiled binaries - anything which
will produce an output.

However, while decompilers do exist, I wouldn't recommend that you use one
if you want simply to edit the code. Unless you are Donald Knuth you will
not make much sense of the output. Rather you should just get the source,
hack it and recompile (I'm still assuming that you're using htdig - if not
and it's a proprietary program, probably there is nothing you can do).

On your second question; the requests for non-existent files (response code
404) could simply be broken links on your site (page renamed or removed,
link wrong from calling page). If they consist of long strings with funny
characters, they are probably scans for common MS II/S exploits (Code red,
nimbda etc.). You can ignore them since they have no effect against an
apache server. For more info, stick the string into Google and see what it
says...