httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Peter" <pgog...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject [users@httpd] Setting up multiple web sites on a local network
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:52:06 GMT

I have a windows network, with  apache running on one win98 machine.
Currently the site, which has a mysql database,  can be accesses via the IP
address or the machine name.  This accesses the default site.

I want to set up two (or more) sites and have them accesses using domain names, e.g.
www.vantweststamsp.com.au and www.agift.com.au.
(These are real domain names and eventually when development is finished the sites will be
moved to a local wb server on a linux box and connected to the internet via ADSL and an IP
Cop box.)

Initially this will be set up on my local network, with no reference to the internet, hence
I have to provide my own translation of web name to IP address.

I am not clear how to do this. I realise virtual hosing will be involved,
but how do I get the network to translate both names to the same IP address?

Where will I find some examples of what the apache config file will need to
look like to set up virtual hosts?

Regards

Peter Goggin

---