httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Dave Stahr" <da...@prairiesys.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] What happens when httpd hits MaxClients?
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:25:48 GMT
> Forgot to mention the server: RedHat linux 7.3 (2.4.18-10smp)
> running apache 1.3.27.  dual pIII 733s with 384mb ram.
>
> I have MaxClients set to 80 because we run a pretty heavy web
> app where a single process can take up over 32mb of ram;
> nominal usage is about 2-4mb.

Simple math.

If you have 80 processes, and each take 4mb of RAM, that's 320mb usage
on a box that only has 384mb total -- your OS and other overhead apps
are going to take a little bit of that.  If any of those 80 processes
hog up more RAM, you're going to have troubles, especially if they're in
the 32mb range.  How much swap space to you have configured?

GET MORE RAM!  :-)

Dave