httpd-users mailing list archives

From "John Darin Holloway" <jdhollo...@blue.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] a quick question or two
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:15:42 GMT
  - By starting httpd by % "/usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start" do I
need to do anything to make apache start and stop upon booting the computer
Check out the manpages for initd and inittab.   Basically you need to add rc
or init.d scripts to stop/start apache on reboot/shutdown, depending on what
flavor of OS you are using (This really should be taken up by the POSIX team
at some point, a single entry point for startup/shutdown scripts across all
unices would be ideal)

- I changed the DocumentRoot and Directory in httpd.conf within
/usr/local/apache2/conf/ and saved those changes. Do I need to restart
apache to make these
Yes /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl restart will reload the config

- Do I need to have my httpd.conf file in /etc/ somewhere as well?
No, you can symlink it if you want it though

 - It seemed like /etc/init.d/httpd is already looking at the new httpd
executable, should it have done it itself as it appears it has?
if it was installed in the same location, things may have stayed similar
enought for the config to be correct.  Double check it

John Darin Holloway
Web Developer and System Administrator, Bluegrass Network, LLC
jdholloway@blue.net  ---  http://www.blue.net

Thank you guys so much, I finally am starting to see how this whole thing
works: I ran a % "killall httpd" then started httpd by %
"/usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start" . My box is now listening to port
80, and I am getting the apache config page when I hit my site.
    I do want to know one or two more things, if that ok:
    - By starting httpd by % "/usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start" do I
need to do anything to make apache start and stop upon booting the computer
    - I changed the DocumentRoot and Directory in httpd.conf within
/usr/local/apache2/conf/ and saved those changes. Do I need to restart
apache to make these changes take effect? If so, how should I stop and
restart apache (service httpd restart?)?
    - Do I need to have my httpd.conf file in /etc/ somewhere as well?
    - It seemed like /etc/init.d/httpd is already looking at the new httpd
executable, should it have done it itself as it appears it has?

    Thank you very much for all you help,
   -Dan