httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Villa" <apacheusermailingl...@ftbwebsolutions.com>
Subject [users@httpd] How far can I get with....
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:33:54 GMT
I am about to receive (as a gift) a brand new Dell Desktop computer.
Since I already have one, plus a laptop, I thought of maybe converting
it into a server for small websites and small web applications written
in PHP.

My question is, will I be able to use it as a full functioning Apache
web server if I run Red Hat 8.0 on it or FreeBSD.  I would like to have
as much as possible running on it, that is the web server, mail server,
ftp server, cvs server, and some good security (don't know much server
security, but would learn before I venture out), and whatever else I can
have on it

Here are the specs,

Internet source is broadband
Router (with wireless capability and built in print server)

Computer specs follow:
Dell Dimension 2300
Intel Pentium 4 Process at 2.0 GHZ
256 MB RAM (I plan to upgrade to 512 or more)
40GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive (I also have some extra hard
drives (120GB and 80GB) which I don't use as much and could use them on
this system if need be.)

Any info would help.
Thanks!