httpd-users mailing list archives

From "bspeck" <bsp...@carolina.rr.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Frontpage Server Extensions on Win2kpro Apache and Where should I start reading?
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:38:29 GMT
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/unixfpse.aspx

-----Original Message-----
From: J. Greenlees [mailto:jaqui@shaw.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 12:25 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Frontpage Server Extensions on Win2kpro
Apache and Where should I start reading?

Jack L. Stone wrote:
> At 02:24 PM 10.23.2002 +0200, Koen Vingerhoets wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>well I think you should lol but not that it really matters...  I'll
put this
>>on the list again, even if it's a little out topic.
>>
>>1) IIS is part of Windows 2000.  If you select add/remove programs,
add
>>windows components, you'll see it pop in there.  IIS.  Make sure it's
>>patched heh... Insecure as a kindergarten.  It's not hard to configure
:)

>>2) Apache and IIS won't conflict if you put IIS at another port (let's
say
>>81).  There are big differences between Apache on Windows and on
UNIX...

(www.ubclaims.com)
(www.shimlar.com)
>>I added SQL to talk to Access, DB2 and MySQL databases.
>>
>>IMO, ASP is fairly easy to use, with some really great sites
>>(www.4guysfromrolla.com)
>>But the base is HTML....  I started on FrontPage as well, but I never
used
>>the extensions, and I learned HTML by switching between the HTML and
the
>>"View".
>>But try out HomeSite, it's my favourite.
>>
>>I hope this helps.
>>
>>Koen

FP
> for more than 5 years and would never be able to keep up with the
demands
> of publishing an online Tech magazine for 60,000 readers in 181
countries.
> http://www.antennex.com/
>
> While Note Pad can be used for little things, (and perhaps a website
that
> is static with few and infrequent changes) that would be a joke for
the
> magazine publication. We'd need 10X the staff to keep up. Also, FP
provides
> a tremendous amount of functionality (prefab cgi stuff), online order
forms
> (all sorts of forms actually) and prefab Forums, etc.
PHP has forums, galleries, article editing and administration, you have
as many or as few forms as you need.
with storing the actual content in a db it is simple to update the site,

you can actually input all new data from online through the keyboard, no

uploading required.
the "portal" sites all have article modules built into them, along with
a one db structure to integrate the entire site.
with that said, php would actually make the magazine easier to produce
than FP does.

> Not only are we a user, but we admin our own group of servers that
hosts
> our own sites and numerous others, all Tech/Professional sites with in
> excess of 100,000 members. We've used WinNT in the past, but for the
past
> several years we have switched to UNIX and love it. NT is the real
> nightmare because of security and instability.
>
> Yes, FP is a real pain to administer, but it does work and if speed
with
> less overhead for website production is a must, then FP does it. Many
share
> the "hatred" for FP and we wouldn't use it either if we had a better
> choice. It's just a questions of need and we'd never have kept up
without
> FP.
>
> Best regards,
> Jack L. Stone,
> Administrator
>
> SageOne Net
> http://www.sage-one.net
> jackstone@sage-one.net

I may not like FP, but I know that a lot of people do and that there is
a way to support the extentions with apache, just have to find where I
saw it.

I have a php script set designed for using to publish articles, with
multiple authors and editors held in the db.