httpd-users mailing list archives

From apacheh...@phantomcougar.com
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Error 403 on thumb directory
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:56:34 GMT
On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 apachehelp@phantomcougar.com wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > I am getting 403 Errors on thumbnails explicitly stored in a thumbs folder
> > on my Apache 1.3.22 server (running under Linux Red Hat 7.1).
> >
> > I see evidence of the errors in my server logs (for a page of thumbs, my
> > users are getting 403 errors at least 75% of the time), however, when I go
> > to view the images (from my local network) they show up 95% of the time.
> > Only occasionally do I
> > have problems, however, I have noticed when i go to a remote computer I
> > have problems.
> >
> > I don't think it is a factor but my thumbnails are generated from a user
> > submitted image that is resized using PHP scripts and djpeg and pnmscale.
> >
> > My thumbs folder is chmod 775 and chowned by {me}.apache and each thumb is
> > chmod 744 and chowned by {me}.apache
> >
> > I have googled the net for the problem and asked friends but everyone is
> > surprised I am having problems based on my permissions.
> >
> > Is there any way I can find out what is causeing the 403 error or fix
> > this?
>
> What message is appearing in the error log when this happens?

Nothing in my error logs (all that shows up there are missing files that
are requested, but these missing files do not correlate with my 403 error
in my httpd
log).  In my httpd logs I get the follow message, for example:

cache-mtc-al05.proxy.aol.com - - [30/Sep/2002:04:26:38 -0500] "GET
/thumbs/868_yTPUhaXamM.jpg HTTP/1.0" 403 301

I doubled checked to make sure the file exists, in the thumbs dir:

-rwxr--r-- 1 myusername apache  1425 Sep  3 00:17 868_yTPUhaXamM.jpg

What I don't get is why this error is not consistant, and why the files
show up sometimes and not at others.

Thanks for your help.  Mark