httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael <mich...@asstr.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache very slow to respond to first request
Date Sun, 01 Sep 2002 13:56:01 GMT
	I don't know if this problem is still relevant, but since you're not
using the access directectives (allow and order) I'd take those out to see if
they fix the problem. The issue I've found is that if you have those directives
in at all, Apache will attempt to verify every IP that connects to it. This
can result in the long timeouts you describe if your users' ISP doesn't
have a reverse mapping for every IP they've got (which is common).

	And yes, it will do the DNS queries even if you've got
HostNameLookups set to off (which you do) as long as it feels that it
needs to. You can see if it's doing this by checking your logs; if the
first column in the log entry is a hostname instead of an IP then Apache
is still doing DNS lookups.

	See here for more info:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html#runtime

- Michael