httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Al Caponi" <don_alcap...@yahoo.com.sg>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] URL ending with dot gives Forbidden Access error
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2002 01:35:53 GMT

> Hmmm... so it's not just a browser caching problem.
>
> My next guess would be a "red herring scenario" - that is, that
> the 403 has arisen because of another change you made to the
> config and is nothing to do with the extra dot. Why did you type
> in the URL in the first place? Was it to test a change you'd
> made? If so, what was the change?

Initially, the value of the 'ServerName' parameter in httpd.conf was an IP
ending with the dot (typo error).
Some users were then actually accessing the URL with the dot.
The dot was eventually removed but a user tried to access the page with the
outdated URL yesterday and brought the problem to my attention.

One thing to note is that I can see the home test page regardless of the
presence of the dot i.e. [http://123.456.789.123.] and
[http://123.456.789.123] will BOTH show me the Apache test page without any
problem.

But trying to get [http://123.456.789.123./dirWithBasicAuth/] fails with
HTTP 403 as will all other subsequent requests to that server.

> I just tried adding a dot to an IP-URL and I get a network error
> from the browser (i.e. the request never gets to the server).
> When I remove the dot, the site works fine immediately..

I tried that on another server and you're right. It fails but works fine
immediately after removing the dot. So I guess there must be some
configuration problem.

But I've looked for the IP ending with a dot throughout my Apache directory
but couldn't find any.

Thanks again,
Al.