httpd-users mailing list archives

From "cedric.lejeune" <cedric.leje...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy GET variables
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 07:08:01 GMT
Hi Sam!

Your problem seems to be like mine (a previous post about
dynamic pages with apache 1.3.26+mod_gzip+mod_ssl)... How do
you solve it? Just by deactivating mod_gzip or have you find a
workaround to still compress pages?

Thanks in advance for your help,

cedric.

> Sorry to reply to my own post, but I've just discovered the
problem.

> mod_gzip was somehow messing with the URL. The problem did
not manifest
> itself when the RewriteRule was hooked to [R] redirect, but
hooked to
> [P] proxy would immediately cause problems.
>
> As soon as I commented out mod_gzip everything worked
perfectly.
> Hopefully my experience can save someone else wasting 2 days
on this as
> I did!
>
> -Sam
>
> Sam Reid wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I usually try not to bother lists if I can possibly help
it, but after
> > driving myself nuts trying to understand mod_proxy when it
didn't work
> > the way I expected, I'm now at the point of
desperation/giving up. I
> > have a feeling that I'm just missing something obvious
though, so
> > possibly someone here can help.
> >
> > I have a virtual host on my Apache server which is on a
public IP
> > address. This host is supposed to be a non-caching reverse
proxy for a
> > web application running on another web server inside the
NAT'd network,
> > 192.168.0.xxx.
> >
> > I've set up the Virtual host with the following directives:
> >
> > <IfModule mod_proxy.c>
> >      ProxyRequests Off
> >      NoCache
> >      ProxyPass / http://192.168.0.126/
> >      ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.0.126/
> > </IfModule>
> >
> > This all works perfectly for all POST requests and GET
requests without
> > parameters.
> >
> > However while 'GET http://public.address.com/' and 'GET
> > http://public.address.com/index.php' both work, 'GET
> > http://public.address.com/index.php?fubar=123' returns a
404!

> > Why is this, and what can I do about it? Appending any
parameters with a
> > "?" to a GET returns a 404 and a message in the proxying
server's log
> > files like this:
> >
> > [Tue Sep 10 12:16:03 2002] [error] [client 1.2.3.4] File
does not exist:
> > proxy:http://192.168.0.126/index.php?fubar=123
> >
> > After checking the origin server's logs it is clear that
the request is
> > never made by the proxy to the origin server if there is
a "?" appended
> > to the file name.
> >
> > I have tried messing around with mod_rewrite but despite
reading Ralph
> > Engelschall's tutorial and examples still couldn't quite
see where it
> > fits in to the mod_proxy scheme of things.
> >
> > I replaced the ProxyPass and ProxyReservePass with the
following, but
> > the results were identical:
> >
> > RewriteEngine On
> > RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://192.168.0.126/$1 [P]
> >
> > Any relevant example or even a hint would be hugely
appreciated!

> > I'm running Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a
PHP/4.0.6 on
> > Slackware 7.0
> >
> > -Sam
> >

> --