httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Mike _" <rmik...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Still trying to figure this bugger out.
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:27:37 GMT
>Because that is the way you compiled it.  Since apachectl is a simple shell
>script, you can easily edit it to supply the -f by default.  But to fix
>your other problems, the command should be
>apachectl -f /var/www/conf/httpd.conf
>
>Joshua.

I added the -f /var/www/conf/httpd.conf line to my apachectl script and it
appears to work now... sorta.  When I type apachectl, I receive no warning
messages.  When I type it again, it tells me that the process is running, so
HTTPD was launched successfully.  However, I can't access the site and when
I type 'apachectl status' I get this error:

Looking up localhost.
Making HTTP connection to localhost.
Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.

lynx: Can't access startfile http://localhost/server-status

Looking at my other OpenBSD box, which contains the original version (1.3)
of apache with which it came, I see that the apachectl script does not
contain any -f option.  So I'm assuming it knows automatically to look in
/var/www/conf for the right config file.  Is this because of the way it was
compiled?  If so, how do I do this with the new version of apache?

The command I used when compiling the source was:

./configure --enable-layout=OpenBSD --enable-modules="info speling"

What do I do now that httpd starts but doesn't display any pages even though
they are in the right directory?