httpd-users mailing list archives

From dale's stuff <st...@colony.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Is mod_rewrite the solution for this...?
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 11:22:58 GMT
Hello,

Apache 1.3x on RH Linux 7.2

I have a website with user profile pages that are served from a database. I
wish to change this around a bit so that instead of having a longer url
with numbers in it the URL will be styled domain.com/members/nickname/

I am getting the member names all unique in the database, and while I could
create directories in the members directory for each user, I currently have
about 15,000 users and expect to grow to even higher numbers as I implement
various improvements.

I can use my existing tool to say grab the first 1 or 2 letters of the
nickname to create a directory under ./members/ but then I would need to
somehow have another process on the server see the url and point to the
proper place. I can do this with my existing server side tool, but I am
thinking that accomplishing this in the webserver will probably be faster.

An example would be - domain.com/members/greybear/ where I think I should
create a folder named ./members/gr/greybear/

Does the above make sense or am I looking to the wrong place to accomplish
this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dale