httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ellis Corey <Corey.El...@comverse.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Stopping repeated requests to the Apache Server
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:10:11 GMT
Hi,

I have a problem, and any ideas are welcome.  We are running Apache/Tomcat
configuration.  There seems to be situations where a user is repeatedly
sending a certain request to the server, which acts like a DoS attack, the
request is valid, but we shouldn't get it from the same ip that many times.
I was wondering is there something in Apache or Tomcat, or anything for that
matter, that will detect this scenario, and deny access for a given amount
of time.

This seems to be similar to IDS technology, I suppose where the signature
would be, a valid request coming from the same ip a certain number of times
in a give time frame, I need something at the Apache or Tomcat level to
detect this and block the offending IP.

If there is something else that might be better, I am open for any
suggestions, I just need a solution.

Thanks for any advice

Corey Ellis