httpd-users mailing list archives

From Duncan Brannen <...@st-andrews.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Size of Apache in memory
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 15:31:02 GMT
At 11:17 03/09/2002 -0400, you wrote:

> > Is this normal?  It seems a huge jump from the 7M of the standard
> > install.  If not - any thoughts on
> > what I may have done or what I can do to reduce the size.  The Netra it's
> > running on has
> > been upgraded to have 1G of RAM but it's going to be hit heavily again at
> > the start of term & I'd
> > like it not to go splat.
>
>have you checked out MaxRequestsPerChild?

Cheers,
         Yes, I have this at 0 on the main server & it seems to behave
but It's set at 10000 on this one & the memory usage is from startup.

It's doing some database queries but they should be fairly simple.

         Dunk

># MaxRequestsPerChild: the number of requests each child process is
># allowed to process before the child dies.  The child will exit so
># as to avoid problems after prolonged use when Apache (and maybe the
># libraries it uses) leak memory or other resources.  On most systems, this
># isn't really needed, but a few (such as Solaris) do have notable leaks
># in the libraries. For these platforms, set to something like 10000
># or so; a setting of 0 means unlimited.
>
>73mb per process seems absurd, unless you are doing huge db queries that
>require several results to be stored in memory at one time.
>
>-Jacob
>http://www.listingbook.com

These opinions are mine, not those of the University of St. Andrews
The University's opinion is that I should be getting on with my work.