httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Connection Refused When Contacting Localhost
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2002 07:52:09 GMT
"Connection refused" is a very specific TCP/IP error which arises when the destination is not
listening on the port or a FW actively rejects the packet.

I'm still not sure you have exonerated the FW - try killing IP chains altogether... Also,
check the boot messages - on my Linux system, I have IP chains disabled and it tells me so
at boot.

Assuming it's not the FW - you must not be listening. In the absence of any directives, apache
listens to port 80 on ALL active IPs (in your case, 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.10.10). So you should
see something there. As soon as you make one Listen directive, all others are switched off.
Personally, I always remove the default and explicitly declare everything:

- remove all Port and Bindaddress directives (these are superseded by Listen)
- for each VH, make an explicit IP + port Listen, e.g.

Listen 192.168.10.10:80
Listen 127.0.0.1:80

This should ensure apache is listening.

Now try from the command line:

$ telnet 192.168.10.10 80

and see if you get the server...

If you do, you can get files with:

GET / HTTP/1.0

(n.b. follow the "GET" with two carriage-returns)