httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 memory use growing
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:02:31 GMT
>From: Jacob Coby [mailto:jcoby@listingbook.com]
>php is pretty well known for it's mem leaks.

Well, I didn't want to name names but I must admit, that one kind of lit up and sparkled in
the list of modules the poster had loaded :-)

Incidentally, as a further thought:

>Restarting apache has no effect on the size of the processes
>(graceful or restart), the only way I have found to get the
>size back down is a complete reboot of the server.

"graceful" and "restart" send SIGUSR1 and HUP signals respectively to the daemons which cause
them simply to re-read the config file and don't actually restart the processes so it is no
suprise that these commands had no effect. While a reboot would certainly fix things, did
you try a full "stop" then "start"? That's a bit less dramatic and should've cleared the memory.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle