httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Help with Virtual Hosting
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 08:48:30 GMT
First of all, as a matter of style, whenever you begin to use VirtualHosts, remove all VH-specfic
directives from the main config and assign them to a VH container. The only things outside
a VH should be those directives which apply to ALL VHs. This makes debugging much simpler,
IMHO.

Returning to your problem, you seem to be assigning the URL http://www.aname.ac.uk/cgi-bin/
to two resources:
- /www/cgi-bin/ via the ScriptAlias directive and
- http://127.0.0.1:8081/cgi-bin/ via the ProxyPass directive.

There has to be a one-to-one mapping between URL and internal resource but you have two, therefore
a conflict - which resource is apache to choose? As it happens, it uses the later-defined
which is ProxyPass (if you reverse the order of the directives, my guess is that the ProxyPass
will stop working and apache will look in /www/cgi-bin...).

Perhaps I am misundertanding your requirements, but I can't figure out why you would assign
two resources to one URL? Am I missing something?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle