httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] log file compression... - mod_gzip
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:38:57 GMT
My understanding is that it just gzips it. But then, what else could it do?

Gzip is just a numerical process based on the Lempel-Ziv algorithm. Its efficiency depends
on the amount of entropy in the file to start with. A highly ordered file will compress much
better than a highly random file. For an access log file (which has lots of similar entries)
you should get the compressed file down to 40-50% of the original file. For a script log,
which is bit more random, it would not be so good, maybe 60-70%. About the best you could
hope for is about 25-30%...