httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] starting problem of apache 2.0.40 on winXP
Date Sun, 29 Sep 2002 14:09:45 GMT
Rad Basa wrote:

>Apache 2.0.40 on a WinXP notebook refuses to start. I
>installed Apache using the binary distro
>apache_2.0.40-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi on a WinXP Pro that
>is kept current through online updates. Haven't
>upgraded to SP1 yet though. Apache 1.3.26 worked fine
>on the notebook. I uninstalled this before installing
>2.0.40.
>
>I've tried uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling
>Apache both as a service and as a console app. Both
>ways it refuses to start and I get the following in
>error.log
>
>[Sun Sep 29 12:54:10 2002] [crit] (22)Invalid
>argument: Parent: Failed to create the child process.
>[Sun Sep 29 12:54:10 2002] [crit] (22506)The handle is
>invalid.  : master_main: create child process failed.
>Exiting.
>[Sun Sep 29 12:54:10 2002] [notice] Parent: Forcing
>termination of child process 3316272
>
>That's when it's installed as console app. When it's
>run as a service I get "termination of child process
>3315632" instead; everything else is the same.
>
>Install.log doesn't show any errors.
>
>I was able to install Apache on a different PC with
>the same OS with apparently the same updates. The
>difference is, it's a desktop.
>
>I searched google for "apache 'failed to create the
>child process'" and I all I got was the same questions
>being posted on other forums. No answers.
>http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/3/lev3/22/pid/65/qid/344260
>http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/9670?page=last&x-showcontent=text
>
>I know it would be best if I installed Apache on
>Linux, but I already have that on a desktop and need
>Apache on my win32 notebook for development testing on
>the road.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Rad

well, I'm not sure with apache 2, but if you don't need the threaded
processing for your development testing, you can use apache 1.3x ( I put
that from binary on my wife's winxp pro system, it worked right out of
the box )

when her current process is finished I'll see if I can get apache 2 to
run on her box.