httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] v100 memory problem
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 21:51:48 GMT
Steven Garrett wrote:
> MaxSpareServers 50
> MaxClients 150
>
> This seem like relatively low numbers.  The system has 2g of memory, which
> should be more than enough.  This servers function is serve out search
> requests to people who use our search portal.  Other servers in this cluster
> typically server out 15-20 thousand requests/day.

1. That is a relatively high MaxSpareServers.  In normal cases, it
shouldn't do much harm.  But if you are wondering why memory isn't being
released, it is because apache isn't killing idle processes.  And that,
in turn, is because MaxSpareServers is high.

2. How much memory is each httpd process taking.  How much of it is
shared and how much non-shared?  You are correct that 150 is a low
MaxClients setting for 2GB of memory.  I suspect you are using some
module that is sucking up memory.

3. The server should be able to handle 20,000 requests/day fairly easy.

Joshua.