httpd-users mailing list archives

From Glen Stormbind <g...@nuws.net>
Subject [users@httpd] CGI/PERL Apache2/Win32 Error500
Date Sun, 15 Sep 2002 17:43:10 GMT
Take 2! :)

This is not a repeat post, the situation has changed slightly.
Please be patient and keep explanations simple as I am still a novice :)

I have installed 2.0.40/Win32 on WinXP Pro to test scripts locally
before adding them to my remote server (Apache/Linux)

The server is working but I cannot get CGI/PERL scripts to work.

Symptoms:
Requests for 'any' file from directories with 'the' AccessFile results
in an Internal Server Error (500)

So I think it's safe to assume there's a problem with this AccessFile
(explained below). Requests for HTML files from any other directory work
fine

I would prefer all settings to be handled with AccessFiles and not the
httpd.conf file because I don't have access to the httpd.conf file on my
remote server and the aim is to test things before uploading them.

# Changes I have made to httpd.conf
# The document root is D:/localhost/
# Apache is installed on the C: drive
# The PERL script is in D:/localhost/search/

DocumentRoot "D:/localhost"

# Not sure if it should say <Directory />, <Directory D:/>
# or <Directory D:/localhost/> but as DocumentRoot has already
# been set, I think Apache understands

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

# I want to use .htaccess files because that's what my remote
# server is setup to accept and keeping things as similar as
# possible makes it easier for me to understand

<Directory "D:/localhost">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
    AllowOverride Options
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

# I am having problems with the filename "" in .htaccess under
# WinXP so using ht.access instead

AccessFileName ht.access

<Files ~ "^ht\.">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

# I have installed ActivePerl 5.6.1 on WinXP because mod_PERL and
# mod_CGI aren't interpreters?

ScriptInterpreterSource registry

# End of changes

My script is in directory /search/ so I have placed ht.access file in
that directory and I'm fairly sure the problem is here. It reads:

AddHandler cgi-script cgi pl
Options +ExecCGI

I cannot connect to the local server by FTP so do not know how to change
CHMOD. I would appreciate it if someone could explain how to do this
using WinXP Network Folders. I don't know if CHMOD'ing is required for
WinXP servers.

I have installed only Apache 2.0.40 and ActivePerl 5.6.1

Your time is appreciated,
--Glen