httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Strange behavior of Apache 1.3.26
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2002 20:30:38 GMT
douglap@dupreeinc.com wrote:
> I had a file on the apache server called GenerateIndex.php which I renamed to GenerateIndex.php.old
at some point while I was working on the site.
> Later, I was at a remote site and I missed my click on the history bar and mistakenly
selected a link to the file GenerateIndex.php file.  Well, the Apache
> server sent the raw text from the GenerateIndex.php.old file to my remote location (
I was a bit concerned because the php file has some database
> usernames and passwords hard coded into it.
>
> Is this a bug that should be reported or is this behavior (asking for GenerateIndex.php
and receiving GenerateIndex.php.old) already know or
> expected?

See the Options directives with special attention to the MultiViews
option.  You probably want that turned off unless you are doing
content-negotation.

I would also guess you are using a <FilesMatch> to designate your php
scripts, rather than the better AddType or AddHandler directives, which
would have marked the file as a php script regardless of the extra
extension.

And, or course, I'm sure you have now figured out that it is not a good
idea to keep material that you don't want web-accessible in the webspace.

Joshua.