httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sam Reid <...@evolvosystems.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_proxy GET variables
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 03:32:12 GMT
Hi all,

I usually try not to bother lists if I can possibly help it, but after
driving myself nuts trying to understand mod_proxy when it didn't work
the way I expected, I'm now at the point of desperation/giving up. I
have a feeling that I'm just missing something obvious though, so
possibly someone here can help.

I have a virtual host on my Apache server which is on a public IP
address. This host is supposed to be a non-caching reverse proxy for a
web application running on another web server inside the NAT'd network,
192.168.0.xxx.

I've set up the Virtual host with the following directives:

<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
      ProxyRequests Off
      NoCache
      ProxyPass / http://192.168.0.126/
      ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.0.126/
</IfModule>

This all works perfectly for all POST requests and GET requests without
parameters.

However while 'GET http://public.address.com/' and 'GET
http://public.address.com/index.php' both work, 'GET
http://public.address.com/index.php?fubar=123' returns a 404!

Why is this, and what can I do about it? Appending any parameters with a
"?" to a GET returns a 404 and a message in the proxying server's log
files like this:

[Tue Sep 10 12:16:03 2002] [error] [client 1.2.3.4] File does not exist:
proxy:http://192.168.0.126/index.php?fubar=123

After checking the origin server's logs it is clear that the request is
never made by the proxy to the origin server if there is a "?" appended
to the file name.

I have tried messing around with mod_rewrite but despite reading Ralph
Engelschall's tutorial and examples still couldn't quite see where it
fits in to the mod_proxy scheme of things.

I replaced the ProxyPass and ProxyReservePass with the following, but
the results were identical:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://192.168.0.126/$1 [P]

Any relevant example or even a hint would be hugely appreciated!

I'm running Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a PHP/4.0.6 on
Slackware 7.0

-Sam

--
Sam Reid