httpd-users mailing list archives

From Adam Cormany <acorm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] log file compression... - mod_gzip
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:42:39 GMT
--- Chris Taylor <chris@x-bb.org> wrote:

> I was under the impression that mod_gzip was used
> for compressing
> output from Apache on-the-fly to save bandwidth
> (with compatible
> browsers).
>
> I thought to use gzip-compressed logs you just piped
> the output via
> CustomLog to the gzip executable.
>
> However, I may be wrong :)
>
> Also: I remember from last month someone having a
> great deal of
> trouble with gzip'ing the logs as they were
> generated, as it seems
> Apache doesn't quite support it? Might be worth
> searching the archive
> for more details.

That would have been me from last month. I went
through the Apache documentation and other websites to
try to get compression on the fly to work. All the
documentation says it's possible, but I was terribly
unsuccessful. I tried both gzip and bzip2 with the
same results. Another gentlemen from the maillist said
he had the same issue, contacted Apache, and they
replied that it was not tested and it is a bug(if I
remember correctly).

I'm working on writing my own script to put in the
cron to compress the files after rotation.

If you find a better solution or if Apache fixes the
bug, please post it in case we don't see the fix also.
I'd love to be able to use Apache for the compression
instead.

Adam Cormany