httpd-users mailing list archives

From david hawcroft <abrog...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Seeing Apache on a LAN Client from Outside the LAN
Date Sat, 14 Sep 2002 15:14:55 GMT

  Hi and thanks for the reply...

 Yes, I can see my page when only connected via the LAN and I use
'localhost' as my URL. But if I use 'jepboro.dns2go.com' as my URL I
cannot see my page.

 If I am connected via the phone everything works fine.

  Obviously there must be some mapping occurring all the time so's
these machines can call for and get back web pages all through the
same pipe. Is that right?

  They are all calling for pages and having their local IP numbers
temporarily swapped for the one and only available 'real' IP number
for this LAN. And when a packet comes back it somehow gets sent to
the right machine and builds the requested web page.

  Why doesn't that mechanism work okay for Apache?

You can see how little I savvy.

  I thought it might be a question we'd all want to know - how do you
see an Apache server on a client in a LAN? A win2000 LAN?  Which bit
of software do you play with? And how? The Lan server config? There's
a config file? I shouldn't ask. Of course there is. There always is.
What's it called and which bit do you play with?

  Apart from not knowing the software involved I guess I'm saying it
confuses me that all the usual traffic gets through to my machine
so's it can browse the web. I'm so bloody ignorant it's annoying. I
guess it's got something to do with traffic aimed at a port, does it?
Apache is 'listening' on one port only, right? My browser is
listening on another - STDIN maybe? Something like that? And whatever
software it is it's filtering according to ports? Could that be it?

 I better shut up, eh?