httpd-users mailing list archives

From Javier Gostling <jgostl...@virtualia.cl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Web server replication
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:27:21 GMT
On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 05:43:47PM +0100, Neil Freeman wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Please could someone shed some light on how web server
> replication/resilience is performed.
>
> What I am attempting to do is have one machine set up as a default web
> server, but if anything should happen to it then a second machine should
> come into play (but with content identical to the first server). So in
> other words how do I keep the two web server's content in sync?

Theer have been several excellent replies with regards to failover/load
balancing, so I won't go in there any more, but on the syncing front, I will
mention unison. It has the added advantage of being able to sync with windows
machines as well as *nix machines. I can't recall where I got it from, but
a search in google should give good results.

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling
Ingeniero de Sistemas