httpd-users mailing list archives

From "i.t" <...@ithum.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3.23 Configuration Allows html pages but not Perl scripts
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 07:08:47 GMT

>  I'm also going to install MySQL and use them together as a learning aid
> and test-bed before I release my web pages to the world.

> 	Permissions for /home/, /j/, /web/,& /cgi-bin/ directories and
> test_a.pl are all rwxr-xr-x.

you do NOT need necessarily world-readable cgi-bin

> 	I have also run apachectl configtest with the following result:-
> Checking configuration sanity for httpd         [OK]
> Checking configuration sanity for httpd-perl    [OK]
> The annoying part of all this is before I re-installed Mandrake I was
> running Mandrake8.1 and everything worked fine!
>
> Any help anyone can give will be appreciated. Apart from RTFM & STFW
> that is. I've already done this many times. Of course I've probably
> missed the relevant parts so if you could just point me...
>
> Thanks,
>             John.

that seems to be very Mandrake-specific; it looks like your changes have not
been adapted. Is there an Include directive for http-perl.conf? Have you made
the changes there, too?
Anyway, if you're on the learning road targeting apache + mysql I'd suggest
you to download an apache 1.3.26 tarball,
extract in /usr/local/ and compile it --with-port=82 so you can fire it up
immediately. If you have a bit more understanding stop the Mandrake
perl-httpd, replace port 82 with 80 in your /usr/local conf, replace the
binary httpd in /usr/sbin (make a copy to httpd.orig), and replace the
httpd.conf in /etc/httpd/conf (make a copy). So on system startup your server
is called by the init scripts.
That way everything should work as you expected :-

--
_ ___
|  |  Irmund     Thum
|  |