httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Ram Usage
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2002 09:15:55 GMT

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, John Wards wrote:

> I have been getting increasingly concerend with apache 1.3 using so much RAM
> per process. Before the weekend it was using about 20-25 meg per process now
> it is using about 30 meg.....With a website that is getting about 100,000
> pageviews a day and will proably do about 150,000 today if the server
> doesn't run out of RAM this is rather worrying.
>
> Should Apache be using this amount of RAM and is their any tools that I can
> use to see what the heck is going on?

It is not uncommon for something (say an external library) to slowly leak
memory due to imperfections in the code.

Restarting apache, or restarting the child which has leaked will generally
reclaim this memory. For this reason it is possible to specify a
MaxRequests number a child should handle before it recycles itself.

Setting this to a couple of thousand requests generally solves this issue;
that way there is virtually no load due to the extra dying/recreation of
children - yet small memory leaks in for example an oracle or php adaptor
stay managable.

Dw