httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache UserDir - 2 directories?
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:17:16 GMT
> Unfortunately I ran into a bit of a problem due to a limitation in the
ext2/ext3 file system where you can only have 32000
> "links" (directories) within another subdirectory (a.k.a. /home) - without
recompiling the ext source and even then you
> only get up to around 32768.....  To get around our inability to create
any new users - I modified the /etc/default/adduser
> to /var/home for the home directory spec and now I can create new
users.....

What about reorganizing your user dir layout by the leading letter of their
login?  /home/aaron becomes /home/a/aaron, and /home/jimbo becomes
/home/j/jimbo.  That should allow about 750000 users :)

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com