httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Intranet To WWW
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:08:11 GMT

> I have an Apache webserver - mydomain.com with an IP of let's say
> 216.126.92.25 (anyone can access this from the WWW by typing in their
> browser location field http://www.mydomain.com or http://216.126.92.25 ).
> I also have on the same server an intranet with sub-nets 192.168.1.1 to
> 192.168.1.5 (5 port hubs).  Connected to one of those hubs is a server
> capable of acting as a webserver also.  I'd like to be able to access that
> hub server from www.mydomain.com which has an IP of 216.126.92.25.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere :)

You've got a few options here (in no particular order):

1) get another IP address
2) configure your NAT box to send another port (say 81) to the outer server.
ie, www.mydomain.com:81 would be the second webserver
3) configure a proxy to send requests to www.mydomain.com/secondserver/ to
the second server, and everything else to the primary server.  If you had a
couple domain names, you could make the proxy send everything from
primarydomain.com to the primary server, and everything from
seconddomain.com to the secondary server.
4) use SSI on your primary server to include files from the second server.
So, somefile.shtml could include 192.168.0.2/someotherfile.html.
5) setup a NFS so that DocumentRoot/secondserver is sourced from the
secondserver.  www.mydomain.com/secondserver would show up as if it were on
the primary server.

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com