httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Size of Apache in memory
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 15:17:53 GMT

> Is this normal?  It seems a huge jump from the 7M of the standard
> install.  If not - any thoughts on
> what I may have done or what I can do to reduce the size.  The Netra it's
> running on has
> been upgraded to have 1G of RAM but it's going to be hit heavily again at
> the start of term & I'd
> like it not to go splat.

have you checked out MaxRequestsPerChild?

# MaxRequestsPerChild: the number of requests each child process is
# allowed to process before the child dies.  The child will exit so
# as to avoid problems after prolonged use when Apache (and maybe the
# libraries it uses) leak memory or other resources.  On most systems, this
# isn't really needed, but a few (such as Solaris) do have notable leaks
# in the libraries. For these platforms, set to something like 10000
# or so; a setting of 0 means unlimited.

73mb per process seems absurd, unless you are doing huge db queries that
require several results to be stored in memory at one time.

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com