httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Error 403: Can anyone help a Newbie get started
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:06:14 GMT
> Hi,
>
> I am a complete newbie to Apache, and I am having real problems getting it
> to work.
>
> I have installed version 1.3 under Mandrake Linux using the default
> configuration file, and I had no issues during install and can start and
> stop Apache from the command line without any problem.
>
> However when I try to access http://localhost/ I keep getting a 403 error
> message.

Try looking for a file, ie http://localhost/index.html

Failing that, check for "Deny from" in your httpd.conf.  There may be a
directive that says something like:

Order allow,deny
Deny from all

Also check for the existance of a .htaccess (notice the dot, and that it
will be hidden unless you do a `ls -a`) in your DocumentRoot.  If you find
one, edit it and look for any sort of Deny problems.

If all that fails, post your entire httpd.conf to the list, and we'll try to
give you a hand.

On the upside, you're 95% done getting your webserver up and running :)

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com