httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jon Steer" <...@da-group.co.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 memory use growing
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:36:57 GMT
Hi all,

I am having a problem understanding how apache uses memory and more specifically why the memory
used grows over time. When the server is rebooted the memory used by each httpd process is
about 17M. Four days later this has grown to 27M and I know from the past that this will grow
to over 40M within a week.

This has a big effect when the number of apache processes is typically between 50 and 80 with
peaks at 150 (MaxClients)

Restarting apache has no effect on the size of the processes (graceful or restart), the only
way I have found to get the size back down is a complete reboot of the server.

We are running Apache/1.3.26, PHP/4.2.2 mod_ssl/2.8.9 under FreeBSD 4.6. Apache modules:

mod_php4, mod_ssl, mod_setenvif, mod_so, mod_auth, mod_access, mod_alias, mod_userdir, mod_actions,
mod_imap, mod_asis, mod_cgi, mod_dir, mod_autoindex, mod_include, mod_status, mod_negotiation,
mod_mime, mod_log_config, mod_env, http_core

all compiled in except for mod_php4 and mod_ssl which are loaded using LoadModule.

extract from httpd.conf:

Timeout 300
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 10
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10
StartServers 5
MaxClients 150
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

Is there any way of finding what apache is using the memory for? Or has anyone had a similar
problem?

Regards

Jon

--