httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] log file compression... - mod_gzip
Date Fri, 20 Sep 2002 05:05:36 GMT
Boyle Owen wrote:
> My understanding is that it just gzips it. But then, what else could it
do?

> Gzip is just a numerical process based on the Lempel-Ziv algorithm. Its
efficiency depends on the amount of entropy in the file to start with. A
highly ordered file will compress much better than a highly random file. For
an access log file (which has lots of similar entries) you should get the
compressed file down to 40-50% of the original file. For a script log, which
is bit more random, it would not be so good, maybe 60-70%. About the best
you could hope for is about 25-30%...

Out of curiosity I compressed an 11 MB log file with rar and zip, they both
had a compression ratio of about 1% (of original size). Rar beat zip with
123 kB against 172 kB. I think one should be able to get around 5-10% for a
script log.

Regards,
Robert Andersson.