httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Merritt" <mmerr...@cteresource.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Download files instead of open
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:19:14 GMT
Apache folks,

I have a certain directory that I am using to distribute PDF files.  Because of the nature
of this particular set of transactions, I would like the PDF files that are in this directory
to be downloaded and saved to disk when clicked by a client, rather than opening in Acrobat
Reader.  I was thinking that if I could change the mime type settings for this directory,
specifically by removing the pdf type, that this might be accomplished.  Please let me know
if I'm off base on this (although that is not the primary question).

It appears that this can be done by using .htaccess, but I just read the documentation that
said to not use .htaccess files unless you can't access the httpd.conf file, which I can.
 It mentions that anything that .htaccess can do can (and should) be done in the httpd.conf
file if possible, and to use the <Directory> section.  So the question is this:  Is
what I'm trying to do possible, and if so, how would I configure it in httpd.conf?  I appreciate
any assistance.

Thanks,
Mike