httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Merritt" <mmerr...@cteresource.org>
Subject [users@httpd] URL Redirection with mod_rewrite
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2002 14:15:50 GMT
Apache folks,

I am finding that mod_rewrite is as complex as the manual says it is.  :-)  I have been through
the mod_rewrite manual and the URL Rewriting Guide, as well as the email archive, and haven't
yet been able to figure out how do accomplish my goal.

The goal is this:  I have two different domain names, one old (vvcrc.tec.va.us) and one new
(cteresource.org), pointing to the same IP address, same web site.  As there are still a lot
of links around the internet that point to the old vvcrc address, I'd rather not disable it,
but I'd like it to automatically redirect the user to the corresponding cteresource.org page.
 Here are a couple of examples for clarity:  If someone browses to http://vvcrc.tec.va.us
(or http://www.vvcrc.tec.va.us), I'd like their browser to show them that they are at http://www.cteresource.org.
 If they click on a link to http://vvcrc.tec.va.us/ipg/index.html, I'd like for their browser
to show that they are at http://www.cteresource.org/ipg/index.html.

The methods I have tried have not worked, and I haven't been able to find an example config
that does exactly what I'm trying to accomplish (or maybe I have and I didn't recognize it).
 I'm running this as a virtual host on a Solaris server.  I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!
Mike