httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@swbell.net>
Subject Re: quick and dirty linix/SSL
Date Sun, 18 Aug 2002 02:32:50 GMT
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:23:12 -0700, J. Greenlees wrote:

>bill wrote:

>> I find myself in a bind and need to put up an Apache server with SSL in a
>> quick hurry.
>>
>> Previously I have used SCO UNIX, but think that Linix is a better way to go
>> now.  Unfortunately I have NO experience with Linix.
>>
>> Please let me borrow your experience.
<snip>

>red hat, madrake, debian, basically all linux distros have apache with
>ssl and fastcgi included.
>
>real choice is which one suites your needs best.
>check the distro sites to choose.
>(mandrake is my personal choice, but it's bleeding edge and is often
>unstable, so I don't think it will suite your needs.)
>red hat is often the distro of choice for reliability.

Pretty much agreed, with exceptions.

Red Hat's main asset is company (read paid) support, not stability.  Ask
those who find things broken upon upgrade, or even out of the box.  RH
users, please don't take that as flame bait.  If it's broken, it's
fixable, but it's still a PITA.

Mandrake, from hearsay, is a straight forward easy install.  It suffers
from RPM/dependency hell, though.  Friends tell me RPMs are getting
better, but not good yet.

Debian is a little tougher to install.  Again, friends say that that's
getting better.  Since Debian never needs to be re-installed, ever,
installation methods are probably not high priority for developers. :)
I'm about to install it on a couple of boxes, so I'll find out.

More on Debian (OK, I'm biased.  I've tried it, I like it, and cannot
imagine a reason to leave standards compliance, deb packages, and
apt-get behind.)

Stable/Woody is rock solid stable.  Everything plays well together.  Not
cutting edge, it is thoroughly tested and production/server ready.  Bugs
are minor.  Bug fixes and security patches are virtually transparent.
For example, the recent SSL and Apache security flaps were handled with
two commands;  "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade".  If you
prefer/need to compile your own, the process is only slightly more
complex.

Testing/Sarge has more of the latest goodies.  Lots of folks like it for
their workstations.  Things can break, but fixes are usually out within
days, if not hours.  Hey, that's why they call it "Testing".

Unstable/Sid is cutting edge.  Not suitable for work.  Don't be
surprised when something you're not even using breaks something you are.
Hackers love it.

If this is a company install, the suits may have concerns about support.
For Debian this is the debian-users mail list.  Volume averages just
under 200 letters a day.  Solutions are very likely to be offered by the
person who actually wrote, maintains, or documents the package in
question.  Response times, well, who can say?  One hour or less is
common.  I've seen <10 minutes so often, I'm over the shock.

See http://www.debian.org/
--
gt           kk5st@swbell.net
The advice is free, and worth every cent.