httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@swbell.net>
Subject Re: Tracking Down an Error
Date Sat, 03 Aug 2002 20:56:17 GMT
On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 15:43:11 -0500, Gary Turner wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 12:26:24 -0600, Cartoon Factory wrote:
>
>>From: Andy Cutright [mailto:acutright@borland.com]
>

>>>if you think it's the perl script causing the problem, does the perl
>>>script log?
>>>
>>Hi Andy:
>>
>>Thanks for the reply. No, the scripts I am running to not log. Is there a
>>way to make perl log itself? (And if so, how?)
>>

>This from a non-serious hacker:  At the start of each script, add
>something similar to;
>
>	print "$script-name begin $date $time" >> /var/log/apache/cgiperl.log
>
>Then at each exit point;
>
>	print "$script-name end $date $time" >> /var/log/apache/cgiperl.log
>
>Consider these snippets to be pseudo-code, as I can't do Perl without
>the book in front of me. :)
>
>After killing your next runaway, a study of the log should hi-lite the
>culprit.  I think that this ordering will make it easy to extract info.

I really hate to reply to my own post, but I just noticed that you use
Lookout. :) If your server is on an Win machine, you might want to code
the log path to suit.  The path I used is Linux FHS compliant and of
course M$ doesn't comply with anything. ;^)  (I couldn't help myself.)
--
gt                  kk5st@swbell.net
 If someone tells you---